What Else are You Voting for in the Municipal Elections?
by jasmin carter
In addition to the candidates running for assembly and school board seats, Anchorage voters have a chance to vote on equally important propositions. There are six city-wide propositions voters will be voting on this election. Props include opportunities for repairs for multiple school buildings, roads and drainage services, and fire services. These props are all integral to the functioning of our city.
- Proposition 1 would help pay for several capital improvements around the Anchorage School District. This includes roof replacements and structural improvements to elementary schools such as College Gate, Chugach Optional, Birchwood, Bowman, Fire Lake, Government Hill, Kincaid, Northwood, Ocean View, Spring Hill, Trailside, and Ursa Minor.
- Proposition 2 would pay for several building safety rehabilitation and upgrades, facility renovations, code improvement projects, fire alarm system replacement, and related capital improvements in the municipality. It includes facility safety/code upgrades and major municipal facility fire alarm system replacements.
- Proposition 3 is about the public safety of our city. This proposal includes upgrading the infrastructure of the Anchorage Areawide Radio Network, acquiring new replacement ambulances, acquiring and replacing transit vehicles and support equipment, and undertaking school zone safety improvements.
- Proposition 4 deals with our roads and drainage services. In the proposed bonds, there are a lot of construction, replacements, upgrades, and renovations for roads all over town from Fish Creek to Dowling.
- Proposition 5 is a Parks and Recreation bond. This prop would pay to renovate and rehabilitate trails and parks and make playground, athletic field, safety, ADA, and park improvements at various parks and recreational facilities.
- Proposition 6. This proposal would help pay for replacing fire engines and make Anchorage Fire Department facility improvements in the Anchorage Fire Service Area.
All of these propositions are incredibly important to maintain and keep our city thriving! There are other propositions you may vote on depending on where you live. There is a great ballot styles tool on the municipal website that shows you what your ballot will look like in your area. Please visit the Municipal election website for more information on all these propositions if you have any questions. The last day to vote for all of these is April 5th, so make sure your voice is heard, and let’s get ready to vote!
Jasmine Carter is a born and raised Alaskan Latina, UAA graduate, and community organizer. She is the South-Central Civic Engagement Organizer at The Alaska Center Education Fund. Jasmine is passionate about voting, youth organizing, and community building.
PROUDLY POWERED BY SOL DE MEDIANOCHE NEWS, LLC. Sol de Medianoche is a monthly publication of the Latino community in Anchorage, Alaska